Lilypie

Sunday, July 22, 2007

The friendship path

Today I was finally able to meet June! She drove into town for the weekend and we were able to spend a fun day together, drinking sangria in the sun and shopping. And talking about adoption! It was a bit surreal to be speaking in person after just meeting in blog world and on the message board.

June, I look forward to the next time we meet. And I definitely can't wait until we go to a future CAFAC weekend picnic, camping with all our kids - WOO HOO!!

I hope to meet more of my bloggy friends in person some day. Before the adoption, I would not have thought I could forge such friendships with people online (I certainly failed miserably at it with my XBF (he was a prat... a big girl's blouse... a pantywaist, etc etc etc., but that's a WHOLE other story, heh heh...). Having such an intense, life-changing goal in mind, following that path with other people, boy, do you get to share and to know a lot about each other.

As I walk along my adoption journey, I continue to meet up with many wonderful people along the path. Some I have been fortunate to get to know very well here in town and who have become part of my regular circle of wonderful friends, others are across the country, and others are in the US and even outside of N. America. What a privilege to 'meet' all these terrific people (you know who you are). And I look forward to more of my adoptive friends meeting my family and my 'regular' friends - especially after our adoptions are complete and we are no longer obsessing over the paper chase!

Here's to the power of friendship and being able to provide such valuable support for each other - whether we are across the city or thousands of miles away, in or outside of the adoption circle.

BTW, a few of my friends left to pick up their children in Addis this week. I wish them smooth flights, many tears of joy, kind customs officials, safe travels, clean water, understanding fellow travellers (on the return trip), and kids born to travel the globe!

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

selam

p.s. June, I forgot to get the waitress to take our picture together - I had my camera with me, too. Drat!!

p.p.s. Double drat - my pre-ordered Harry Potter did NOT come in the post on Saturday!! Probably because my mail is being redirected. Here's hoping it comes tomorrow. I hate having to avoid the news for fear of spoilers.