The last part that took more time than I anticipated was sorting through my pictures and trying to narrow them down to a reasonable number. They recommend at least 8-10 pictures. I submitted 35 so I hope that's ok - I couldn't whittle the number down any further. They are pics of me, my family (I was able to include almost everyone), my friends, my house, and my neighbourhood. I ordered my prints online at FutureShop, my first time getting prints of digital pictures (other than on my own printer). I was really pleased with how they turned out, and at 19 cents per 4x6 print they were a good price. I should get prints made of a bunch of other digital shots so I can really enjoy them (and share them).
I also had to get 2 new passport pictures taken. Cool coinkydink story when I went to get my pictures taken: As I sat in the chair while the lady prepared the camera, I thought to myself 'gee, she looks Ethiopian. I wonder if I could ask her where she's from. Nah, that might be rude.' I said nothing. While we waited for the prints, she mentioned if the passport office gave me grief to come back and have them redone. I then explained they weren't for my passport but for adoption ID purposes. Of course we started talking about the adoption and I said I was adopting from Ethiopia. To which she said (yes, you guessed it), 'I'm from Ethiopia.' Her name is Kal and she's actually from Addis. She said, 'you'll be placed with a beautiful child - Ethiopian children are beautiful.' I told her I had to agree based on the pictures I've seen :-)
Unfortunately, despite this nice story, the passport pictures are bloody awful - I look like either a coke head, a caffeine addict, or a zombie - take your pick (and I wasn't even drinking Red Bull that day). I was trying so hard not to blink at the wrong time that my eyes were bugging out of my skull. sigh. (at least my noggin fit in the picture)
So, along with a very large wad of my hard earned money to pay the 2nd half of my CAFAC fees and the first half of my country fees (!! yay !!), the dossier is off to CAFAC for processing. They will take care of the following
- document notarization
- provincial certification
- embassy authentication
- translation
This takes on average 2 months to be completed. Yes, and from what I've read on other blogs, in Canada (or Alberta, at least), we are VERY LUCKY that our international facilitator does this for us (well, we pay them enough, I guess). But it also may take longer than if we did it ourselves, but that's not an option.
Next step - I send off my immigration forms and then I get to sit and wait ...and wait ...and wait. I will hear when my dossier has arrived in Ethiopia and from that point I will wait for my referral and my first pictures of the divine Miss M - YIPPEEEE!!!!
It's probably good timing that now that I'm (almost) done my paperwork I am just about to start my house renovations. Something to keep me preoccupied. Pictures of paint chips and floor samples tomorrow!
selam
p.s. No stinking Harry Potter yet. It's a GD outrage.


