Lilypie

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dear Prudence

What's in a name?

I've had a couple of names in mind for M (and I'm still positive I will not be naming my daughter Myfanwy - but it will remain her 'Internet rock star stage name').

Currently, the names I'm considering happen to begin with S. But the running favorite is beginning to lose ground because I've heard it a few times now. Not that it's common, mind.

I don't know. I guess unless I name her something like BLACKBERRY, SPARKLE, or MOONSTAR, I'm going to have to accept that her name may appear elsewhere. I do like nature names though - some sort of plant material maybe (I am partial, due to my own name). That being said, my Ss are not natural... I mean, not from nature.

I am onto a second S name now. I really really like it even though it's the name of a British actress (I do admire her, natch). And it's still a pretty female name that would look great on the door placard of a CEO's office. This is part of my criteria for choosing a name - my daughter must have a strong name behind her so she won't get her arse kicked in the playground and so she can kick corporate arse with cred, as a career woman. That, and her name must look good on a DJD, Alberta Ballet, or Alvin Ailey programme. And no stripper names allowed - my kid won't be working the pole!

"In the House of Commons today, Prime Minister Sparkle __ ..." Nah.

I have considered family names. I love my Godmother's name and also her daughter's name. And maybe I should continue my Mom's tradition of a J-name for a middle name.

At this time, without my referral, I'm considering doing what many adoptive parents do, which is keep her birth name as her middle name and give her an English first name. But, if her Ethiopian name is pretty and easy to pronounce/spell, I'm happy to keep it as her first. So, it's all just speculation at this point.

I wonder, if I do adopt a second time and it's a boy - what sort of name would I pick for him?

hmmm...

"Hey, there goes Strawberry Fields and her little brother, Aragorn..."

Anyone heard of any really idiotic names parents should steer away from? Other than those two?