Lilypie

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Stage mother from hell

Is anyone else following the So You Think You Can Dance auditions?


I haven't watched the show faithfully in the past, but I am really digging this season's auditions. And I'm looking forward to the kick off of the first season of the Canadian version.



Maybe it's because I'm so dissatisfied with my current job and am wishing I had pursued my dance career (instead of staring into a computer screen all day long), but I've been dreaming of dancing/choreographing for a while now. I think it's time to take classes again -- for the opportunity to dance and also for the great exercise. It's been about 10 years since I last took a class (ballet). But I need more, and I'm too long in the tooth to chart as high as I would like to go for myself.

What does this mean for Myfanwy? Unfortunately I can't pass my genes down to her, but I can hopefully instill her with my passion for music and movement. So, let's hope she has some dancing ability, because, Lord love her, I'm sending her to dance lessons! But if dance isn't her passion, I will encourage her to follow whatever her dream is.

I can't wait to find out what that dream is!!

It's weird but so very exciting to think about the potential for my daughter. Because I can't pass along my creative genes, maybe she'll be a math genius? Or an architect? Or a marine biologist (one of my other career choices in high school).

Where will her life take her? Where can I help her go?

"The sky's the limit, baby. Come on home and let's get this party started!"

One thing I know FOR SURE -- no matter who she turns out to be, she's going to be bombarded with 80's music for at least her first 18 years!


Now, everybody put on your parachute pants and get out there and wang chung tonight!