Lilypie

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Since Thursday

It's true, I TOTALLY forgot to do my referral dance! After all that practicing, it just never came to mind. *sigh* Forgive me, I'll try to do better.

A lot has happened since Thursday.

On Friday I had a telephone consultation with our international adoption pediatrician at the Children's Hospital--Myfanwy passed with flying colours and her file presents a "normal to low risk" proposal. She is just a little light for her length. Also, medical opinion states she is very cute--who am I to argue with the professionals?

Right after that call, I signed the form to officially accept the proposal.


I didn't need the doctor's approval before I signed, but it was nice to get her professional assessment. She was so friendly. I'm looking forward to bringing Myfanwy to see her.

I also received this lovely surprise on Friday:

From sis Claire and her family.

Coming from a woman I very much admire as a mother, her words meant a lot to me.

But, THE BEST thing that happened on Friday was a surprise call from Liz, my s/w, shortly after 5pm. She called to tell me she had received 3 more pictures of Myfanwy!! I was stunned at this because I was sure I would have to wait another week or much longer. Liz said she would email the pictures to me. I said I was at my computer at the time so fire away. She then proceeded to describe the shots and tell me how beautiful my kid is and what a lovely shaped head she has (we now have confirmation she has one). All the while I am thinking "Liz!! PLEASE!! Just SEND me the pictures!! NOW!!" Of course, she did. I just had to calm down.

I think these new pictures (2 are full body shots) were taken when the referral medical exam was done on the 6th because the doctor is in a couple of the shots with his stethoscope and measuring tape. It also looks like Myfanwy is on a scale in one of the pictures. My absolute favorite photo so far is of my girl lying on the crib, looking up into the camera with a hint of a smile in her eyes and in her mouth. This picture is now my laptop desktop image.

Seeing her new pictures, I'm not so sure of a 'family resemblance' anymore, heh heh, but the familiarity is still there. I've gone through the archives of my friend's referral pictures to see if she looks anything like other babies pictures I've seen, but she looks nothing like any of those children. Maybe I saw her in a dream. I can see a bit of her personality now, too. As Claire put it, her eyes show a lot of spunk--as in, she'll keep me on my toes.

I was on the phone with Gina on Thursday evening and I remember saying something along the lines of "Looking at her picture, I feel like I've given birth to her." Isn't that weird? And I really meant it when I said it--as if I had physically been through childbirth. Maybe part of it was the feeling of a huge millstone being removed from around my neck, a huge weight off my shoulders. Maybe that's why I felt like I had pushed a 10 lb baby out of my nether regions. It was the strangest feeling--totally unexpected. The feeling was so strong I was swept away by it.

Also on Friday, I updated my status on our message board DTC (date to country--as in the date you are officially waiting) list (update in red):

November 2007
Hazel (requesting a girl, 0-12 months) REFERRAL RECEIVED May 14, 2009 (baby girl 3.5 months old)

I also updated my ticker and added a new one celebrating Myfanwy's age.

I've had lots of people asking what happens next and when I'll be able to bring Myfanwy home. I will write about that soon.